Monday, April 1, 2013

GARDEN? I Got this!



So I have decided to do a garden this year. Actually, I did have a vegetable garden a few years back but it wasn't anything I took a whole lot of time with. This year, I plan to go all out! I really want a successful garden. With my hubby's job change comes a change in finances and what better way to save some money then to plant a garden and grow your own food! Plus I just love to garden! It is something I will always remember my Grandpa G doing. He always took me to his community garden when I was a wee little one, and it was always the best time ever. Learning about the plants, watering them and watching them grow was just great with a guy like my Grandpa. So I would love to pass that love of growing to my boys. 

Well, to make a long post short, This garden has proved to be a bit harder when you really put work in, instead of just taking care of it when you actually think too. :) I took a class at our local library on raised gardens and really thought I had this together but it turns out when you are dealing with the weather and plants that need specific times to be planted it gets a little tricky for me. So this is how things have come along so far.....



Not to bad, since I did have to do this without the help of my husband. He planned to do it the night before but by the time we had purchased all the materials it was late and the screws we had ended up not long enough. :( So the next day while at work I did my best to jimmy rig it and it didn't work. After 4 stripped screws later, I went to Lowes with the boys and got the correct screws. But still did not have enough power to man the drill so I ended up screwing them in by HAND! And it was probably 40 degrees outside, which is very cold for NC. So my hands were numb by the end. BUT I DID IT!! 





Next will be adding the soil and the cold weather plants, broccoli, romaine lettuce and iceberg lettuce. They were already having a hard time because it took so long for me to get the bed going.


I'll post updates as the garden grows. I think it will be a lot of fun to see how this turns out. THANKS TO THE BIG C FOR ALL MY PHOTOGRAPHS. including the self portrait. :)









The life and times of a mother of 3.......boys that is. Don't forget to bookmark www.funwith3.blogspot.com and visit anytime for more photos, links and fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck with your garden! we always say we are going to skip a year bur never do. It is fun but so much work and we end up giving up toward the end of summer.

Nikki said...

I feel like that might end up being me. It sure is work!!